(Part 2 – all new posts related to this topic will be added to the Principles for the non-Mujtahid page.)
The Benefits of Learning general Usul al Fiqh For the Layman
Since it is incumbent upon the layman to learn some of the fundamental usuli principles it should be known that this entails great benefits. From amongst them:
- The knowledge of usul is a shar’i knowledge and therefore the reward for seeking sacred knowledge can be obtained with a sound intention.
- The knowledge of usul can help to qualify a person to extract/obtain shar’i rulings and thus rise from the level of a layman to the level of the mujtahid.
- The knowledge of usul gives a person the ability to understand shar’i texts.
- The knowledge of usul clarifies the technical terms that the scholars use in their verdicts and works.
- The knowledge of usul enables a person to be more precise with their choice of words thus one will use the exact words that convey the intended meaning.
- The knowledge of usul gives a layman a sense of confidence in the validity of the ijtihad of the mujtahid who he follows.
- The knowledge of usul clarifies how one should pose questions to the scholars and also clarifies who is entitled to be asked.
 To see further benefits refer to the book: Diraasat fi Muqaddimaat ‘ilm Usul al Fiqh p.162 & Usul al Fiqh, al Bahseen. P.128.